Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Wedding Cake

The purpose behind our trip to Utah last week was the wedding of Rich's younger sister, Julie.

We adore Julie and many times I wished I could be closer to help out with the preparation more. I told her I would help any way I could and it turns out that that offer was accepted...in the form of the Wedding Cake!

That's right, I was asked to make the wedding cake...

Just to clarify - my only qualification for baking a cake is that I have four kids that have a birthday each year. Really, that's it! So I'm the first to admit that I was in way over my head. Luckily Julie chose a cake that seemed very forgiving (i.e. no frosting was visible thanks to a myriad of lady fingers and fresh berries).

I baked the cake(s) at my moms house early in the week. Then the night before the wedding I hung out at the grooms parents house frosting the cake, cutting and placing lady fingers. The last step was the berries and the ribbon, done an hour prior to the reception.

All in all, very doable and, if I do say so myself, it turned out great!

Most importantly, the bride and groom appeared to be happy with the outcome - which makes all the effort worth it!

6 comments:

Kim said...

The cake looks amazing!!! You are truly talented!!! What a beautiful cake and bride and groom!

Alli Waldron said...

great job! it looks wonderful. where did you even come up with that idea?

Liz Laudie said...

Your cake turned out beautifully!! And it looks like it would be very scrumptious, delicious and delectable to eat~~some wedding cakes don't seem very edible . . . and some are barely edible.

Amy said...

How cool! The is awesome :) What a great daughter-in-law!

Ticey said...

Wow look at you go - it looks awesome!! What a fun wedding. I love the picture of all the nieces and nephews :)

Laurel Dougall said...

Way to go Katherine!! I wish I could have been there and tasted it! :) laurel